Changes to the Rangatira Express
Following a trial created for the 2019 season, RAL have amended the rules regarding uphill travel on the lift. Previously there was no casual foot traffic on the Rangatira outside of the designated hours of 4-4:30pm and 8-8:30pm during night skiing. The new rules from RAL are:
- If the lift has maintenance/lift/patrol clearance they will be happy to load club members from 8.45am to 9am. Within reason, they will load bags and foot passengers.
- All chairs carrying foot passengers will need to be stopped so this will need to be managed.
- They will repeat the process again with gear and foot passengers from 3.45pm to closing at 4pm.
- During the rest of the normal operating time during the day access will require ski/board passengers only with one bag that needs to be managed & carried by the individual.
- All guests regardless of times will require passes.
- Over & above normal club members, should any of the custodians require some stores to be moved (once again within reason) then they will be happy to try and accommodate this. Ideally to bracket this in that 8.45am to 9am slot.
Isaac and Autumn know who to contact about this. As with anything else on the mountain this is obviously dictated by the weather so don’t expect a lift up if its a blizzard and the chair is already shut down for the night. Please also respect the staff and their decisions, this expectation was set out in the original trial and we don’t want anyone to jeopardize the system for all the other clubs on the field.
Ski Racers officially opens on the 31st of July 2020 and closes on the first weekend in October. As of now we are yet to secure a custodian but watch this space for more updates coming soon. For now, head over to the bookings page to reserve your weekends for 2020. Check out our Facebook page linked below to keep up to date with the latest developments.
With the introduction of the new parking system and restrictions for 2020, it’s important that you are aware of the rules and how it works. Linked below is a RMCA document outlining the details of the parking system and agreement. Also linked is the carparking map for clubbies. Any number in RED is an allocated club carpark location. If you park anywhere else overnight you will be towed!
Check out our Facebook Page – Ski Racers – Ski Club
There’s a growing number of Club photos plus news and updates from members. Go ahead and like us too! Click the link above.
There are plenty of bags for sale this season. Find out more about what your support does by going to the ‘Firewood Fundraiser’ page or get your wood now by Calling or Email Mike on
If you’ve got recent photos you’d like included on the website, please email the Club on email@example.com
Ski Racers Ski Club is a family friendly club, conveniently located halfway up the first chair on Whakapapa. To learn more, check out our website
Find the document here – RMCA Forum 2019
Recently, the RMCA (Ruapehu Mountain Clubs Association) forum was held in Whakapapa Village. Some important points to note that came out of the meeting are
- Knoll Ridge Cafe –
- Changed to three eating zones
- Introducing street cart style eating
- Increased capacity to 580 occupants
- New Executive Chef
- West Ridge cafe reopened, only on better days
- Terrain Works
- Wider area behind Lorenz’s
- Realignment of Rock Garden
- Centennial Gully Re-Contoured
- Changes to parking coming – running a trial up until 2021
- Carparks controlled after 6pm
- Designated overnight club parking
- Park n Ride re-established
- Issue of no vehicle access to public shelter raised
- No downhill traffic on the Rangatira Express
- Skis/Boards to be worn, no foot traffic
New Parking Rules at Whakapapa
If you haven’t heard already, the parking and access at the top of the Bruce Road has changed. There’s a new Premium Parking area (in red on the map) and you need a special pass to access. This would be where you normally dropped off at the Shelter. Now you can’t access this easily – be warned! Also, expect to park further down the road than what you have in the past.
The Committee wrote to RAL expressing concerns about safety related to these changes and as a result, overnight parking opposite the Premium Parking was introduced. We will continue to give feedback, so please let us know of any positive or negative experiences related to these changes at firstname.lastname@example.org